Saturday, September 28, 2013

Philosophy, Psychology, Positive Thinking and Ageing


Contrasting topics!

This week has been strange for me. Generally I like reading business and management; this week I didn’t even touch my favorite Economictimes in the morning. I was completely shut down from business news all the week.

I started thinking about this, about my psychology, and why I am feeling so. There were many thoughts came in; maybe I was tired, maybe I had too much of business reading last week, maybe I was thinking negative, maybe I was philosophical where I started feeling there is no truth in material world? (I know it’s true early for me to feel thatJ) And found out that there is a connection between all the reasons I thought about.

Though the above topics look contrast to each other in the first place; in Indian context there is a perfect connection and they are very tightly integrated.

Indian philosophy is nothing but psychology. In the olden India there was no subject called psychology. Indian philosophy itself was psychology. The steps we see in our rituals, the scriptures, the essence of Vedas everything revolves around mental elevation of human beings. Just think about some of our morning rituals; be it getting up early in the morning, be it doing morning prayers, be it listening to light music or be it respecting elders and getting blessings; it all has a connection to psychology, pure psychology.

Our ancient Indian scriptures give lot of assurance about life, about wellbeing, about ‘God’ taking care of all the things. This is nothing but pumping energy and thereby making us to think positive. Indian philosophy never says to leave your normal duties to attain self-knowledge. It says one must mentally purify oneself by positive thinking and having a stronger mind.

There is much detail knowledge in our scriptures as how we can train our mind to elevate ourselves. It is said that our mind is our stronger friend when you train it and otherwise it can become a great enemy.

Lastly ageing, it is now proven that having a balanced life and positive thinking increases your immunity and one can live longer!! Our ancestors thought about all this and put these rituals in place which elevated us psychologically, trained us in positive thinking there by living longer/happier.

Such great is the knowledge of our ancient culture is that it draws a parallel between how we live and what we think. It is amazing knowledge but it’s so sad that we are not aware of what we have.

No comments: